ON THE RIVER AT 801 SOPHIA STREET IN DOWNTOWN FREDERICKSBURG, VIRGINIA
Web content copyright © 2015 by Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site), 801 Sophia Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
The Walker Auxiliary
Shiloh Old Site’s Walker Auxiliary Club was organized in 1911 by Mrs. Theresa Diamond, wife of Pastor John C. Diamond. The club has played an active and significant role in the church ever since.
In addition to providing support and fellowship for its members, the club sponsors an annual “Family Night” for the benefit of the entire congregation, and it puts on an annual Christmas dinner at the church for residents of Hope House.
Each year the club offers a pre-Thanksgiving “candlelight service” on the Sunday evening before Thanksgiving with music, prayers, scriptures, and a brief message.
Members make food donations to the church’s food pantry, which helps individuals and families that are running short on food. The club also provides snacks for use in the church nursery.
The club also has a program in which some of its members serve as “breakfast buddies” at Hugh Mercer and Lafayette schools in the city.
One of the club’s newer efforts is the creation of a “blessing box” to send to students who are away in college.
Each April, the club makes a visit to a nursing center. Each May, the club assists the homeless and the struggling through Micah Ecumenical Ministries, of which Shiloh Old Site is a founding member.
Each June, the club visits homebound members and those in assisted living facilities.
New members are always welcome. Additional information on the club can be obtained from any of the current members or by contacting the president, Eleanor Braxton (540.371.5808).
The club is named after Mrs. Walker, who provided its leadership in its earliest years.
Front row in photo:
Middle row in photo:
Back row in photo: